Saturday, April 28, 2007

Conversational Fruit

To All the FRUIT fans... Durian: The KING of FRUITs.

You can find this majestic fruit in Southeast Asia. Known for its prickly thorny exterior and creamy flesh, this fruit averages 5 lbs. It is the King of fruits because once you've had a taste of its creamy, custardy flavor, you will not want to eat other ordinary fruits again.

Ready to try one? Before you do, I think I should warn you that the durian does give off a slight odor that you can smell from just a few yards away. What does it smell like? Well, you'll have to judge for yourself, but to me, it's like a combination of puke, gym socks, a litter box, and onions that have been trapped in a small box for about one year, open it it and take a big whiff.

Come on! It can't smell that bad, right?!? Well, this sign from Singapore's Mass Rapid Transit says it all. (Notice that it's right next to "No flammable goods!")


6 comments:

Kuki said...

Very interesting! Have you had a chance to try it? Kuki

Ms. Sahyouni said...

Hey Mary,

I love exotic fruit. Where can I find this if I wanna try it. Do I need to go to Asia...I think its a good enough excuse to travel. Today I saw at the arabic market green plums which our sour and you eat with salt. I'll try to bring some in for you to try. toodles...Holly

travelsub said...

Interesting that a fruit would be banned from public transportation. Is it exported to other countries? Does the US allow its import? I'd be curious to know if it can be bought somewhere here in the US.

Tummy Yummy said...

Response to Kuki -
I've only tried the frozen one. It was not so great going down my throat. And not to gross you out even more, it was worse when I had to burp! People say that the fresh ones are different. Haven't had the guts to try it yet since the frozen ones fiasco.

Tummy Yummy said...

Response to Holly Golightly -
You can find fresh durian exported from Asia to the U.S. in asian markets such as 99 Ranch Markets. When you get to the produce area (or possibly when you walk into the market) just follow the smell. I look forward to trying the sour plums - please bring me some and I can include it in my blog. Thanks.

Tummy Yummy said...

Response to travelsub -
You can now find Durian in asian markets such as 99 Ranch Markets (there's one in san gabriel). If you are brave enough to try one, let me know. I'd love to hear your comments!